Dreaming Of A New Banjo



By Bryan Dix

I have one banjo and having just the one, I can't help but to want one more. I wouldn't get rid of the one that I have now though. It was my first one, a gift from my wife, and it has an awful lot of sentimental value.

It came from a pawn shop and was a Christmas gift. It plays really good but looks kind of used. I don't get to play out in public or even with a band because I am no where near good enough for that yet so it isn't like I really need to upgrade for the sake of image or anything. I just want one.

I have had my eyes on the Gibson line of banjos but I have to keep my dreams realistic. Wait a minute, it's dreaming and in dreaming you can dream as big as you want to. Okay then, I want to get a Gibson Granada Hearts and Flowers model. It is one gorgeous instrument. I also love the Gibson Earl Scruggs models and the J.D. Crowe as well but there is something that really gets me about the Hearts and Flowers model.

Now if I can wake up from this dream for just a second, and the $5500.00 price tag on the Hearts and Flowers Gibson, I will make some more achievable plans for another quality banjo that is more attainable with my finances.

I think I would probably like to have a Fender or a Deering banjo. They both have really nice instruments and their price range is from around $500.00 and up. That is way better than $5500.00 for little old me.

Now since I am not fit for public consumption yet,(my playing I mean) I am not going to rush out and buy a new banjo yet but if I find myself in the very rare situation of having a little extra money in my pocket, I will probably be very tempted to drop some money on a new banjo. Fender has several models like the FB 59 that is around $900.00 and is very nice. It has a rose wood finger board with beautiful mother of pearl inlay.

A lot of banjos do have mother of pearl inlay in the finger board but the one I have now only has the little round dots and it has one star on the fifth fret which looks okay but I want my next one to be mor ornate. Also gold trim would be nice. The FB 59 has that.

Well, I'm going to dream till I can make it happen.

My blog about banjo, bluegrass music, bluegrass musicians and whatever else comes to mind. Banjo3 Blog

Shop for banjos, banjo cases, strings and other banjo stuff. Banjo3.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home